Learn how to cook Purple Asparagus with kale and shallots in this healthy recipe!
For a hot minute I thought my child finally figured out what it meant to sleep. For a few glorious months he totally fooled me, got me nice and comfortable and was sleeping from 7pm to 630am. It was pretty much the best thing to happen to my health and sanity in forever. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, he decided to stop.
You guyssss, I can’t even think I am so tired. Dear child (whom I love and adore), 5:30am is not a reasonable time to wake up every single morning! and writher around in bed like an angry snake asking questions like, “Mama, are all weed trimmers nice? … Mama, are all lawnmowers nice? … Mama, are all grasshoppers nice…?” Why can’t he just lay there in bed? Or lay there in bed and ask the questions? WHY DOES HE HAVE TO KICK ME SO MUCH???
No amount of coffee can help this.
So, my jam packed productive day is moving at a snails pace. It’s noon and I have spent the majority of the morning staring off into space (which just so happens to be a 5-load pile of laundry that, somehow, keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger). I also have Escape to the Country playing in the background (basically the British equivalent to House Hunters) and I can’t get enough of these magical old historic homes.
Maybe I should just go take a nap??
But first, a quick bite to eat…
While doing my usual grocery shop the other afternoon I noticed these beautiful purple asparagus just calling my name. How could I resist? Although I had our meals planned for the week I though, whatever, what’s one more? I’ll keep it simple.
And that’s exactly what I did.
This simple dish makes for a perfect low key dinner or healthy lunch. I decided to sauté the asparagus with shallots, garlic and kale and gave it a little extra flavor with some toasted breadcrumbs sprinkled on top. And, since I am all about tahini, a big scoop of that was served on the side. If you’re not a huge fan of tahini, avocado would be a great alternative.
Sautéed Kale and Shallots with Purple Asparagus and Buttery Toasted Breadcrumbs
- 3 cups prepared brown rice (or other favorite grain like quinoa, frekkeh, farro)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large shallots (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- Pinch of salt + pepper
- 1 pound asparagus (ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 bunch kale (stems removed and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter (or coconut oil for vegan option)
- Tahini (for serving)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add the diced shallots and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until soft and just starting to brown (not burn). Add the minced garlic plus a pinch of salt and pepper to the shallots and stir to combine. Continue to cook for an additional minute.
- To the same skillet mix in the asparagus and the chopped kale with the shallots and add the soy sauce. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale has wilted and the asparagus is cooked to your preference.
- Divide the cooked rice between two bowls and top with the sautéed kale and asparagus.
- Return the skillet back to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Stir in the breadcrumbs and toast for approximately 1-2 minutes (watch closely) or until golden brown. Remove from heat and sprinkle over the asparagus.
- Serve with a dollop of tahini or hummus, if desired and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)