The BEST Baked Lemon Chicken Recipe. Super simple to make, all you need are a few simple ingredients including juicy chicken breasts, fresh lemons, and garlic, butter, and herbs. Loved by all ages, even the pickiest of eater will love this fresh and healthy dinner recipe. Gluten-free and keto-approved.
Healthy Baked Lemon Chicken Recipe
Today I’m sharing one of my very favorite easy recipes for busy weeknights – my easy lemon chicken recipe.
A healthier, more hands-off version of chicken piccata, in this recipe there’s no frying or browning or chicken-pounding, no white wine (although a glass on the side would certainly taste delicious), and no capers. It is, however, low-carb, gluten-free, and keto-approved (and also really yummy).
Oh yeah, and it’s ready in forty minutes or less, with only 10 of those minutes dedicated to actual work.
Let’s make it.
RELATED: One Pot Olive Chicken and Lemon Rice
Lemon Chicken Ingredients
- olive oil
- chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- garlic cloves
- fresh lemons
- fresh thyme
The ingredients are so simple, but the results? Amazing. The combination of butter, garlic, herbs, and lemon is enough to make any dish taste incredible, but pair it will chicken and magical things happen.
I have chosen not to dredge my chicken in all-purpose flour and grated parmesan. This is certainly something you can do – but to keep this recipe as simple, fast, and healthy as possible, I left out the coating and frying.
Can I use other fresh herbs? Yes. Use whatever you love. Fresh parsley, rosemary, and oregano would also work.
Can I use Chicken Thighs Instead of Chicken Breasts?
Absolutely. I love cooking with boneless skinless chicken breasts because they’re so lean. And, in this case, you don’t even have to marinate your chicken for tender, juicy results.
That said, chicken thighs are also great. Bone-in or off, skin-on or off – it’s your dinner. Use what you love. Please note, however, that cooking times may vary. Always cook your chicken to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
How to Make Lemon Chicken
To make this easy, flavorful baked chicken recipe follow these step-by-step instructions:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and spray a large 11 x 8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Add the chicken breasts to your baking dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle both sides of your chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and 2 teaspoons of paprika. Turn to coat. Set aside.
2. Prepare your lemon butter sauce. Add the minced garlic (real garlic, please – not garlic powder), lemon juice and lemon zest, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper to a small bowl. Whisk well to combine. Melt the butter in a small microwave-safe dish and immediately add to the garlic and lemon mixture. Mix well to combine.
3. Pour the prepared lemon butter sauce directly over your chicken breasts. Use kitchen tongs to gently turn and coat each chicken breast with sauce. Top with 1-2 lemon slices (if desired).
4. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the internal temperature registers 160 degrees F as measured with a digital meat thermometer. Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve the pan juices over your favorite sides like warm rice, buttery potatoes, or roasted vegetables.
What to Serve with Lemon Chicken?
Other delicious sides include,
- Noodles – Egg noodles, spaghetti noodles, or even zucchini noodles
- Roasted veggies – green beans, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower
- Salad – green salads and fruit salad
- Potatoes – baked sweet potatoes (always), baked potatoes, or cauliflower mashed potatoes
More Baked Chicken Recipes,
If you try making this Easy Baked Lemon Chicken Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Baked Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large 11 x 8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the chicken breasts to your baking dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle both sides of your chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and 2 teaspoons of paprika. Turn to coat.
- Add the minced garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the butter to a small microwave-safe dish and microwave for 15-30 seconds, or until completely melted. Immediately add the melted butter to the garlic and lemon mixture, mixing well to combine.
- Pour the prepared lemon butter sauce directly over your chicken breasts. Gently turn to coat and top each chicken breast with 1-2 lemon slices.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the internal temperature registers 160 degrees F as measured with a digital meat thermometer.
- Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Keep leftovers stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- I did not feel the need to sear my chicken breasts before baking. If you decide to use bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, this is a step that I would recommend.
- Poultry should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F and allowed to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)