This Honey Mustard Chicken is cooked to juicy perfection in a simple, classic, and flavorful marinade made from honey, brown mustard, and freshly minced garlic. Ready in just 30 minutes, enjoy this baked honey mustard chicken recipe with your favorite sides including steamed veggies and cooked rice.
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
My mom would bake chicken thighs smothered in honey mustard sauce at least every other week when I was little and serve the pan drippings drizzled over a side of wild rice. Decades later, this classic combination of honey and mustard with chicken still remains one of my favorite throw-together healthy weeknight dinners.
Made with simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry, these baked honey mustard chicken breasts are ready and on the table in just 30 minutes. Serve with rice, veggies, or a small salad, and save leftovers as they’re good for up to 3 days later.
How to Bake Honey Mustard Chicken
Have this easy chicken dinner in just 3 simple steps!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Transfer the chicken breasts to a large 11 x 8-inch baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Mix together the soy sauce, honey, spicy brown mustard, lemon juice, and minced garlic. Pour over the chicken breasts and turn to coat.
- Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Then uncover and continue to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, ot until the internal temperature registers 160 degrees as measured with a digital meat thermometer.
You can also make this recipe using chicken thighs. Check out this post for easy honey mustard chicken thighs in the Instant Pot or use the following as a rough guide for bone-in, skin-on baked chicken thighs:
- Chicken thighs at 350°F – 50-55 minutes
- Chicken thighs at 375°F – 45-50 minutes
- Chicken Thighs at 400°F – 40-45 minutes
- Chicken Thighs at 425°F – 35-40 minutes
Boneless skinless chicken thighs will require about 10 minutes less cooking time compared to bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.
How to Serve
More Chicken Breast Recipes to Try,
- Perfect Air Fryer Chicken Breasts (No Breading!)
- Poached Chicken Breasts (How to Poach Chicken)
- Easy Baked Buffalo Chicken Recipe
- Easy Baked Pesto Mozzarella Chicken
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- Bruschetta Chicken Recipe
- Baked Lemon Chicken Recipe
Did you try this easy honey mustard chicken recipe?
Tell me about it in the comments below! I always love to hear your thoughts. And tag me #theforkedspoon on Instagram if you’ve made any of my recipes, I always love to see what you’re cooking in the kitchen.
Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a large 11 x 8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the chicken breasts to your baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle both sides with salt and black pepper, to season, and turn to coat.
- Meanwhile, add the soy sauce, honey, spicy brown mustard, lemon juice, and minced garlic to a small bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- Pour your prepared sauce over the top of the chicken breasts. Thoroughly coat each chicken breast in sauce (I like to use kitchen tongs to rotate each chicken breast 1-2 times).
- Tent your baking dish with foil and transfer it to the oven. Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Then uncover and continue to bake for an additional 5-15 minutes, or until internal temperature registers 160 degrees as measured with a digital meat thermometer.
- Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- You can also prepare your marinade and chicken ahead of time. Combine the chicken breasts, olive oil, salt, pepper, and marinade in a gallon-size zip-lock bag and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- I did not feel the need to sear my chicken breasts before baking. If you decide to use bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, this is a step that I would recommend.
- Poultry should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F and allowed to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)