These Buttermilk Chicken Drumsticks are juicy, flavorful, and so easy to make with simple ingredients. If you’re looking for a new go-to chicken marinade, this is it!
Buttermilk Chicken Recipe
The rumors you may have heard are true–buttermilk and chicken go together perfectly, and buttermilk works wonders as a marinade. With garlic and shallots, Italian herbs for freshness, and a bit of a kick from just a teaspoon of red pepper flakes, this particular marinade’s burst of flavor is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
These delicious drumsticks are ready in just 45 minutes (including only five minutes of prep). They’re also super versatile and can be served with various sides. Any dark meat will do–I usually use this marinade for drumsticks, but thighs would also be delicious. If you’re looking for a new chicken dish for the family dinner rotation, this might be the one!
How to Make Buttermilk Chicken (Grilled)
Add the buttermilk, garlic, shallots, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to a medium bowl and whisk. Pour the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag (double bag recommended!) or baking dish. Carefully add the chicken to the bag or dish and toss it to coat. Seal or tightly cover your container and stick it in the fridge overnight for best results (or for at least four hours), turning the chicken twice. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before you’re ready to grill.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill over medium-low heat. Discard any excess buttermilk marinade. Cover your grill and let the chicken cook for 30-40 minutes (or until golden brown), turning it occasionally. Once it’s cooked through, it’s ready to serve!
Oven-Baked Buttermilk Chicken Drumsticks
Prepare and marinate the chicken as instructed. When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on the baking sheet, discarding any leftover buttermilk marinade. Bake the drumsticks for 35-45 minutes, or until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F as measured with a digital meat thermometer.
What to Serve With Buttermilk Chicken
This buttermilk chicken is quite versatile and works well with just about any side dish. Some of my favorites are mashed potatoes, Spanish rice, veggie skewers, or sautéed veggie (like carrots or green beans). Even a simple side salad and rolls or biscuits will do the trick alongside this flavorful chicken.
Storage and Freezing
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. They’ll reheat nicely in the microwave, oven, or even air fryer. Try the reheated chicken with hot sauce, lemon juice, or extra cayenne pepper next time if you like a bit of an extra kick!
More Chicken Recipes:
- Chicken Soup
- Easy Baked Buffalo Chicken
- Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Homemade Chicken Teriyaki Broccoli Salad Bowl
If you try making this Buttermilk Chicken Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks - thighs would also be delicious
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 large shallots - minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, garlic, shallots, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into a large ziplock bag or baking dish (I always double bag when using a ziplock bag). Carefully add the chicken and toss to coat. Seal or tightly cover the chicken and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight; turn chicken once or twice. Remove chicken 30 minutes before grilling.
- Heat grill to medium-low and place marinated chicken on the grill. Discard the marinade. Cover the grill and cook the chicken, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)
Leave a Reply