All you need is 5 minutes to make your very own creamy and delicious BEST EVER Homemade Ranch Dressing. Made without buttermilk or MSG, this Ranch Dressing Recipe contains only simple and affordable ingredients and tastes a million times better than store-bought.
I am a big time ranch lover. Up there with ketchup as one of my top three must-have condiments, I will literally put ranch on everything. Creamy, smooth, delicious, kinda salty and with just the right amount of tang, ranch is just one of those foods I keep in the house at all times.
And while everyone loves a good ranch dressing – yes, even the haters – not all ranch dressings taste good.
But, don’t worry. This homemade ranch dressing? This ranch is better than good. This is the BEST ranch dressing! And all it takes is 5 minutes.
Homemade Ranch Dressing Ingredients
- Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Half-and-Half (or whole milk, buttermilk, or Kiefer)
- White vinegar (or fresh lemon juice)
- Onion powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh herbs (optional)
But where’s the buttermilk?
For this homemade ranch dressing recipe, I did not but a huge thing of buttermilk that would ultimately get wasted. Instead, I added white vinegar. The white vinegar, when mixed with the half and half (or milk), creates buttermilk. If you prefer to use buttermilk in place of the half and half, that will also work.
How to make Homemade Ranch Dressing
The easiest way to make this Homemade Ranch Dressing is to gather the ingredients, a medium bowl, a few spoons, and some measuring cups.
Now, you guys, just because you can make exact measurements doesn’t mean you have to. One of the many beautiful things about this recipe is that exact measurements are not necessary. Instead, use the measuring cups as a guide, starting with the amount listed in the recipe and adding more as needed. This is simply because some people may prefer more mayo, while others may prefer more Greek yogurt. Others may prefer a thicker Homemade Ranch Dressing, while others may prefer a dressing that is somewhat more watery.
And then there are the herbs-
How do you feel about adding herbs (dill, parsley, chives) to your Homemade Ranch Dressing?
I love ranch dressing every way, but for this recipe, I wanted to add some herbs. Although I did provide exact measurements for the herbs in the recipe feel free to go with what you love. For example, for a really long time, I hated dill. It is only recently that you’ll find me adding it to recipes. If you do not like dill, please, do not add it to this Homemade Ranch Dressing. Same can be said about the chives or parsley. On the other hand, if you love these herbs, you may want to add even more!
To make this homemade ranch dressing, simply place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.
That’s all it takes.
Add more of what you love, for example, garlic, white vinegar, or milk, and omit what you hate.
What to serve with Homemade Ranch Dressing
While I will happily eat ranch dressing with, on, or in nearly everything, here are a few ideas to get you started.
Veggies! One of the best ways to enjoy ranch dressing is by dunking super healthy vegetables (carrots, radish, celery, cucumber, tomatoes, broccoli, cucumber) into a big bowl of this creamy, dreamy dressing. It’s also an easy way to get kiddos who hate vegetables to eat more greens.
And salad. I’m pretty sure I survived in college off ranch-covered lettuce and ranch smothered pizza (so many hashtags for that memory).
But that’s not all! You’ll love these recipes with Homemade Ranch-
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash
- Skinny Baked Popcorn Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bowls
- Buffalo Chicken and Cauliflower Taquitos
How to store leftover Homemade Ranch Dressing
Homemade ranch dressing, since it is made without any preservatives, must be refrigerated when not being enjoyed and is best if eaten within 5 days.
If you try making this Homemade Ranch Dressing Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to read your thoughts and feedback and would love to hear all about your favorite ranch dressing dippers!
For more dip recipes check out,
- Hot Crab Artichoke Dip Recipe
- Ricotta and White Bean Dip
- Easy Black Bean Dip Recipe
- Homemade White Bean Hummus with Zaatar
- Beet Hummus
DON’T FORGET TO PIN AND SHARE THIS HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING RECIPE TO ENJOY AND SERVE WITH ALL YOUR FAVORITE SALADS, SANDWICHES, AND VEGGIES.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Best Ever Creamy Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup half-and-half ((or whole milk))
- 3 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (minced)
- 2 tablespoon chives (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl and mix well to combine. Season with additional salt, pepper, and fresh herbs to suit your own personal preference. If the dressing is too thick, simply add additional half-and-half, milk, or water to the bowl, one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Transfer your homemade ranch dressing to a mason jar or storage container with a tight-fitting lid. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Serving size is approximately 2 tablespoons.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)