I have spent nearly all of Octavian’s nap time shopping on Etsy for fun woodland themed room decor for a certain someone’s soon-to-be big-boy room. I can’t stop. I’m obsessed. The husband and I went to Ikea on Saturday and decided on “the bed” and since then I’ve spent WAY too much time on Pinterest thinking of ways to turn his room into a complete Pinterest project (rock climbing wall and everything). As long as my dear, sweet and incredibly frugal husband doesn’t take all the fun away (aka kindly tell me to STOP spending money), it will be AMAZING. However, let me note, this room is already being done on budget, which is also what makes it so awesome.
Big boy room aside, March 28th is a pretty big day for me.
One year ago today was the day I had my stroke. I thought about writing a whole separate post about how thankful I am and how insane it is that I can say I survived a stroke before the age of 30, but I decided, no. Maybe it’s because I haven’t had any wine yet today and my coffee buzz was used up on shopping for Octavian’s room, or maybe it’s because I just don’t want to talk about it (we’ll find out later tonight after I’ve had some wine).
Either way, I am so thankful for the past 365 days.
As I’ve mentioned previously, I really love cauliflower and I really love cauliflower rice. Cauliflower FRIED rice just made sense.
You guys, this veggie PACKED meal tastes just the real deal and takes less than 30 minutes to put together! To keep things on the lighter side, I opted to leave out meat; however, if you’re itchin’ for a more “substantial” dinner (or you have teens to feed), beef, chicken or shrimp would taste great tossed in.
If you’re unsure about having only cauliflower rice and no real rice, you can also do half cauliflower rice and half white or brown rice. I did half and half the first time I prepared this dish and my husband didn’t notice a difference (or the cauliflower!). I tried all cauliflower the second time I prepared this fried rice and he still didn’t notice or have any preference.
Cauliflower wins (again!)
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 large-sized head of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 red orange and yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas or edamame
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 6 green onions minced
- Prepare the cauliflower rice- tutorial. Set raw cauliflower "rice" aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Add onions, carrots and garlic and sauté for approximately 5 minutes, or until onions and garlic are fragrant. Add the bell pepper and mix well. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add 1 more tablespoon of sesame oil, the cauliflower, and frozen peas and mix well to combine. Cook for just 1-2 minutes and turn heat to low.
- To cook the eggs, make a well in the middle of the cauliflower veggie mix and add the eggs. Stir continuously until eggs are fully cooked. Finally, stir in the soy sauce, oyster sauce and green onions just before serving.
- Garnish with additional green onions, fresh cilantro and sriracha.
Cauliflower rice- tutorial here.