This Creamy Chicken and Tomato Potato Gnocchi Recipe is a fast and easy dinner made with fresh and sun-dried tomatoes, shredded chicken, gluten-free gnocchi, and fresh spinach, all mixed together in a light cream sauce. Ready in less than 30 minutes, this easy gnocchi recipe is perfect for anyone new to this potato dumpling pasta or those in search of a gluten-free alternative to pasta.
The first time I had gnocchi was over a decade ago. Commuting between San Jose and UC Santa Cruz at least four days a week, I was working to get my degree in Molecular Biology. I was also training for the SF marathon and taking jiu-jitsu two days a week. I was in college and had no time to bother with cooking. But, I needed food. And I needed food that was fast.
I discovered Gnocchi Alla Sorrentina from Trader Joe’s (remember, this was a million years ago) and was instantly hooked. Made with gnocchi, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese, this delicious dish was frozen!
At this time I had no idea what gnocchi was. Was it pasta? A dumpling? Why was this the first time I had ever seen gnocchi?
What is Gnocchi?
The word gnocchi is thought to be derived from the Italian word nocchio, meaning a “knot in wood”, or from the word nocca which means “knuckle”. Gnocchi is small dumplings made from semolina, ordinary wheat flour, potatoes, egg, cheese, breadcrumbs, or other similar ingredients. Originated in Roman times, this popular Italian dumpling was originally made from semolina porridge dough mixed with eggs. Potato gnocchi did not occur until the introduction of the potato to Europe in the 16th century.
To make gnocchi cooked potatoes are mashed and mixed with flour to form a dough that is then shaped and cut into small pieces for boiling. After boiling, gnocchi transforms into light, fluffy pillows perfect for mixing with your favorite sauce.
Potato gnocchi is much easier to make than regular pasta, but still widely available in local markets (or online) fresh, frozen, or even dried. And although potato gnocchi is traditionally mixed with flour, gluten-free gnocchi is now readily available.
Check out these other delicious gnocchi recipes,
Ingredients in this Creamy Chicken and Tomato Potato Gnocchi Recipe
- Roma tomatoes
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Red chili flakes
- Chicken broth
- Cooked shredded chicken
If you love soft fully dumplings and sun-dried tomatoes, then you are going to love this gnocchi recipe. That said, there are a lot of sun-dried tomatoes in there, so cut the recommended amount in half if your feelings toward this personal favorite of mine aren’t your personal favorite, too.
Is Potato Gnocchi Gluten-Free?
Unless specified, most gnocchi is not gluten-free. Most gnocchi sold in markets today are made with potato, flour, and eggs which means that they are not gluten-free. BUT, several brands have made gluten-free potato gnocchi available by using gluten-free flour alternatives. If you are highly sensitive to gluten, I recommend reading the label.
Why I love this Easy Gnocchi Recipe?
- his skillet filled with pillowy goodness takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
- Speaking of skillets, that’s all you need- one skillet.
- It tastes like crazy comfort food, minus the crazy guilt.
- Easy to customize. In other words, if you don’t like spinach, add something else! If you don’t care for sun-dried tomatoes, skip those, too!
- Kids love them! (jk. I can’t promise this, but mine did take two bites)
Check out these other super easy dinner ideas
- Creamy Sausage Pasta with Kale and Burrata
- Baked Mostaccioli
- Sun-Dried Tomato + Basil Pesto Pasta with Shrimp
- Easy Skillet Chicken Marsala with Pancetta
- Sausage and Vegetable Soup with Easy Basil Pesto
- Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Pasta with Chicken
- Tomato Baked Vegetarian Beans with Tangy Feta
Creamy Chicken and Tomato Potato Gnocchi Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large shallots (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 Roma tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces gluten-free gnocchi
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots to the skillet and cook until starting to soften- approximately 3-4 minutes. Mix the garlic in with the shallots and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and the sun-dried tomatoes to the skillet and stir to combine. Sprinkle with the red chili flakes, salt, and pepper, and cook until tomatoes are hot and starting to soften (approximately 4 minutes).
- Add the gnocchi to the tomatoes and mix well to combine. Use a large wooden spoon to gently break apart any gnocchi that may be stuck together.
- Add the chicken broth and the half-and-half to the gnocchi. Mix well to combine. Add the shredded chicken. Cover and cook on medium-low until gnocchi is warmed through and sauce is simmering, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid cover and add the spinach. Continue to cook just until the spinach has wilted.
- Remove skillet from heat and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and salt and pepper, to taste, if needed. Serve and enjoy!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)