Delicious and refreshing, this Fruit and Vegetable Summer Salad explodes with all the awesome flavors of sweet peaches, kohlrabi, strawberries, and spicy chipotle shrimp!
Tomorrow my child has his very first field trip ever. I’m going to use the term “field trip” loosely here since I have to go along and his school is otherwise cancelled for the day. Fun for the kiddos, but not fun for me. Not that I won’t relish in the memory of my child’s first field trip with his school buddies, but I know how these things go. It will be two hours herding a bunch of wild animals (my child being the wildest). Plus, I spent all day yesterday thinking I had Friday to get work done, realized I did not, had to change my schedule around and make it all fit into today. Then I spent all day today thinking it was Friday, but realized that it’s actually just a three day weekend minus the help.
Don’t worry, I know I’m being overly dramatic. I’m actually really looking forward to spending the day with my favorite little person (assuming he will be on his best behavior) and also assuming I will get in a seriously long run.
Hormones, you guys. #killer
Anyway, before I bore you too much with my stuff let’s talk about what’s important here, SALAD.
Yes, another salad. I hope you love salads because they are one of my favorite meals of all time and I make them a lot! Besides, tis the season. Right? It’s also fruit season. Being May and late-Spring over here in California, that means lots of stone fruit popping up everywhere, berries, lingering peas and kohlrabi.
I shared a crunchy shredded kohlrabi salad earlier in the week where the spicy vegetable played a key role. In this salad, it is much more subtle, but a perfect complement to the sweet fruit and creamy avocado.
Looking for some protein, I quickly baked some shrimp, giving it the perfect spicy kick without weighing it down.
If you love this Peach and Kohlrabi Summer Salad with Chipotle Shrimp, you may also enjoy-
Peaches and Kohlrabi Summer Salad with Chipotle Shrimp
- 7 oz arugula (or fresh baby kale)
- ¼ cup carrots (shredded)
- 1 English cucumber (sliced)
- 2 radishes (sliced)
- ½ cup fresh pea
- 2 peaches (pitted and sliced)
- 7 strawberries (sliced)
- 1 large kohlrabi (chopped into matchsticks)
- 2 tablespoon chives (chopped)
- ¼ cup feta (crumbled)
- 3 green onion (chopped)
- 1 avocado (sliced)
For the Shrimp
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobe sauce (diced)
- 2 teaspoon adobo sauce
- ⅓ cup dry red wine
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- pinch of salt
- 1 lb large shrimp (thawed)
For the Shrimp
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. Add the diced chipotle chilis, adobo sauce, red wine, minced garlic and salt. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, as the sauce simmers, spray a large glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add the shrimp. Carefully pour chipotle sauce over the shrimp and stir with the shrimp. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until the shrimp are just cooked through.
For the Salad
- With all ingredients chopped and prepared, build your salad. In a large salad bowl start by tossing together the arugula, carrots, cucumber, sliced radish, peas, sliced peaches and strawberries, chives, feta and green onion.
- Serve with the shrimp in the salad or on the side.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)