Learn how to make a Kale Brussels Sprout Salad with a tangy Lemon with Orange Vinaigrette dressing!
Hey there, you guys! Happy weekend! This is probably going to be the shortest post in the history of posts. We are currently on our way to Yosemite for the day. My dad is visiting for the weekend and it will be his first time back to this California treasure in nearly forty years. For Octavian, it will be a first. Assuming all goes well, my husband keeps a smiles on his face and my father minds his p’s and q’s, it should be a really awesome day.
Besides, we’ll be in one of the most beautiful places in the US, what could possibly go wrong? (don’t answer that…)
Ok, so to the food: shredded kale and Brussels sprout salad with grapes, blackberries and dried cranberries. You guys, just yes. Just a couple years ago my husband was pretty anti-fruit in his salad. I admit, I was too. It felt too fancy; too many textures. Slowly, I started incorporating fruit into our fresh green salads and haven’t looked back since. Thankfully, my husband is now a big fan of super greens and fruit all mixed together.
This salad was one of my favorites and super easy to throw together. It makes a great weeknight dinner or lunch. If you’re not a big fan of lacianto or curly kale, you can always use fresh baby kale or even chopped spinach. However, I found that, originally when I first started cooking with kale (and didn’t really care for it), it was because I wasn’t removing the thick, tough stems. Remove those bad boys and it tastes MUCH better. Toss in some pepitas or slivered almonds, serve with sliced avocado (the best!) and you’re all set. Oh wait…don’t forget the vinaigrette 🙂
Have a great rest of your weekend, friends!
(For the record- writing while riding in a car with a 3 year old (who has a bucket of marbles??), a chatty grandpa and an unamused husband is impossible)
Shredded Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad with Lemon + Orange Vinaigrette
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 bunch kale (chopped with stems removed)
- Shredded Brussels sprouts (approximately 3 cups)
- 2.5 carrots (grated (approximately 1 cup))
- ½ cup green onions (chopped)
- 1 cup red grapes (halved)
- 1 cup blackberries
- ½ red onion (diced)
- ¼ cup pepitas
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1-2 avocados (pit removed and slieced)
- ½ cup Herbed goat cheese (crumbled)
- First prepare the vinaigrette- place all ingredients for the vinaigrette (except for the parsley) in the bowl of a small food processor or blender and process until fully combined. Add the parsley to the food processor and pulse a few times, or just until the parsley is finely minced and fully incorporated. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl toss together the chopped kale, shredded Brussels sprouts, carrot and green onion. Pour 2 tablespoons of the prepared vinaigrette onto the salad and, using clean hands, massage the dressing into the salad (you're basically just mixing the dressing in really well since kale is a thicker leafy green).
- Into the same bowl as the kale and Brussels sprouts add the grapes, blackberries, red onion, pepitas, and dried cranberries. Gently toss to combine.
- Drizzle each salad with remaining vinaigrette and top with sliced avocado and goat cheese, if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)