It’s my bedtime. I have no idea how that happened so fast. It feels like two minutes, not 2 hours ago that Octavian went to bed. Where have the past two hours rushed off to? Oh yes, some trip planning that ultimately led nowhere, a little problem solving trying to find a solution to this blogs slowww loading speed, and dessert. I am well into week 3 of being sick and my appetite has no idea what it want it wants, but there is always room for dessert.
Seriously, though, you guys, if my immune system doesn’t get it together I may lose it soon. It’s been THREE weeks! First a fever, body ache and sore throat, then a sinus infection and now a cough and brutal body ache and headaches.
Who else? Anyone? For your sake, I really really hope not.
And you know that little thing called exercise and running that is so HUGE in helping me maintain my sanity? Not happening. The weather is perfect, the birds are singing and I’m hacking up a lung. I know, makes total sense.
But enough of that. I’m sure each of you out there reading this right now have at least one or two people in your life that are sick and complaining. The last thing you need is to listen to me cry about it. Annoying, I know. So today I made a salad that may not be the key to sudden health, but it’s sure to fill my body with healthy stuff.
Stuff like kale and Brussels sprouts and avocado! Topped with sweet pomegranate and earthy walnuts, this salad is practically begging nourish your body (in a good way!). Finally, drizzle this bowl of chopped up goodness with a light homemade lemon vinaigrette and you’re good to go.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot shredded and chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cup candied walnuts or pecans chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2-3 large shallots minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- salt + pepper
- In a large bowl toss together the Brussels sprouts, chopped kale, carrots, pomegranate seeds, avocado and walnuts. Set aside.
- Place the lemon juice, red wine vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk until fully incorporated. Add the minced shallots, garlic and salt and pepper and whisk once more to combine.
- Pour desired amount of the dressing over the salad and gently toss to coat.