Chicken Teriyaki Meal Prep, made with lean chicken breast tenders, roasted vegetables, and quinoa, is an easy and healthy way to start any week. Use homemade or storebought teriyaki sauce for this fast and delicious 30-minute meal prep idea.
Meal Prep is my favorite way to prevent unwanted snacking throughout the day and include this Meal Prep Skillet Kielbasa with Bell Peppers, Buffalo Turkey Meatballs with Easy Meal Prep Bowls, and Strawberry Yogurt Overnight Oats.
Cooking schedules and meal planning, despite my very best efforts, do not always go accord to plan. Things change, opportunities come up, or I simply run out of time. To combat this reality of life, I have started making one weekly meal prep meal each week to have as a backup for the afternoons or nights where we have “nothing to eat”- yes, I am acutely aware of how inaccurate that statement is.
Meal prep ideas are endless, but simple and balanced meals are always my goal. This week I decided to make Chicken Teriyaki Meal Prep Bowls.
INGREDIENTS IN THIS CHICKEN TERIYAKI MEAL PREP
- Chicken tenders
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Teriyaki sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- Green onions
- Cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, edamame (optional)
I choose to bake the chicken and vegetables for this meal prep chicken. Of course, if you prefer to stir-fry everything together, that is one other way to cook this chicken teriyaki meal prep. I went with the baked method because I personally feel that the vegetables taste better roasted. I prefer to leave the additional sauce on the side rather than stir-frying everything together, risking soggy veggies. But I’m getting ahead of myself…
I have included in this post a recipe for homemade teriyaki sauce that I used for this Homemade Chicken Teriyaki Broccoli Salad Bowl. Homemade teriyaki sauce is super easy to make, but it does require additional ingredients and additional time. If you have the extra time, awesome! Otherwise, no worries. Skip the homemade and make this meal prep chicken with store-bought sauce.
VARIATIONS TO THESE CHICKEN TERIYAKI MEAL PREP BOWLS
The teriyaki meal prep ideas overflowing from my brain are endless. Here are a few ways to mix things up (keep in mind that cooking method will vary)-
- Add a different protein- shrimp, meatballs, tofu, tempeh
- Change the carb- quinoa is great and all but this meal prep would be awesome with noodles, white rice, farro, or freekeh.
- So many veggies- of course, broccoli and teriyaki sauce are practically made for each other. However, let’s not forget about cauliflower, bell pepper, zucchini, or other squash.
In other words, think outside the (lunch) box.
WHY I LOVE THIS CHICKEN TERIYAKI MEAL PREP
My 4-year old ate it. Need I say more? Jk, always…
- This chicken meal prep is ready in under 30 minutes.
- And makes enough for at least 4 lunches or dinners.
- Reheats beautifully.
- Has a little something from every food group.
- Can be easily customized to fit specific diets or needs.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER CHICKEN MEAL PREP IDEAS
- Chicken Fajita Meal Prep Recipe
- Meal Prep: Chicken Shawarma Quinoa Bowls
- Curried Chicken Salad (meal prep)
MUST HAVE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT FOR ALL YOUR MEAL PREP IDEAS
Meal Prep Bowls: You will need something to store and hold all your delicious prepared food in, right? These are my recommendations.
- Glass Meal Prep Containers with 2 Compartments– Having two compartments is perfect if you prefer to keep flavors separate from each other, or you want to prevent a sauce from making something soggy. These glass meal prep containers are freezable, microwavable, and dishwasher safe.
- Glass Meal Prep Containers with 1 Compartment– One giant compartment perfect for Burrito Bowls, Pastas, or this Chicken Fajita Meal Prep Recipe. These glass meal prep containers are freezable, microwavable, and dishwasher safe.
- For non-glass options, you can try these BPA free Bowls or Single Compartment Containers.
Other recommended items that will help make planning easier and help the environment!
- Plastic cups with lids– (if anyone knows of a more planet-friendly option, please let me know)- these little cups will keep things like salad dressing, sour cream, guacamole, etc. separate from the other food. This is especially important when meal prepping salad bowls as the last thing you want for lunch is soggy lettuce.
- Spork– if you’ve ever wondered where the name of my blog came from…Anyway, attach this to your keychain or backpack and take it everywhere.
- Reusable Insulated Water Bottle– I have several different brands. I have carried the same Kleen Kanteen for years, but I love my Insulated Rtic Water Bottle because it keeps ice frozen forever.
- Silicone Reusable Straw
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Chicken Teriyaki Meal Prep
For this recipe, I used these Glass Meal Prep Containers with 2 Compartments and Mini Plastic Cups with Lids to hold the extra sauce.
For the Teriyaki Sauce
For the Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- 2 lbs Chicken tenders
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 large carrots (chopped)
- 1 cup pineapple (chopped)
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
For the Chicken Teriyaki Meal Prep
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- sugar snap peas, edamame, cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Additional Teriyaki Sauce
For the Teriyaki Sauce
- Whisk together all ingredients for the Teriyaki sauce to a small saucepot over medium heat. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer until sauce just starts to thicken. Set aside.
For the Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 1-2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Transfer chicken tenders to the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the carrots, broccoli, and pineapple to a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Transfer to the baking sheets with the chicken tenders.
- Transfer baking sheet(s) to the preheated oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until internal temperature of the chicken registers 160 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with teriyaki sauce.
Meal Prep, Prep
- Add approximately 1/2 cup cooked quinoa to each meal prep bowl and divide the roasted chicken and vegetables between bowls. Add any additional fresh vegetables such as sugar snap peas, edamame, or cherry tomatoes, if desired. Drizzle with additional teriyaki sauce. Enjoy!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)