Ready in as little as 5 minutes, this Easy Mango Salsa Recipe is made with sweet mango, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, and fresh lime juice. Enjoy this deliciously colorful Mango Salsa with your favorite chicken, tacos, seafood, or by the spoonful!
Easy Mango Salsa Recipe
Whenever summertime rolls around I immediately gravitate toward all the fresh and colorful fruit and produce at the farmer’s market and grocery stores. However, year after year, one recipe that I continuously go back to is this insanely easy mango salsa.
I fell in love with mangoes in 2011 when my husband and I were traveling through Southeast Asia. We found ourselves on the island of Koh Tao, Thailand for a month and, long story short…ate a lot of mangoes for breakfast.
Anyway, over the years I have made countless versions of fruit-filled mango salsas including these (amazing) vegetarian Lentil Tacos with Mango Pomegranate Salsa or these Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Mango Watermelon Salsa. I’ve added mango to guacamole and I’ve made delicious mango salads like this Mango, Watermelon and Corn Salad and this Mango Avocado Salad.
This particular mango salsa, however, is one of my all-time favorites. Mostly because it is so easy to prepare, but also because it is all about the mango!
Ok, so now that we know that this mango salsa recipe tastes awesome with everything let’s make it!
Ingredients in Mango Salsa
- Mango – You’re obviously going to need mango if you plan to make this salsa. The best mangos for salsa are ones which are ripe, but not too ripe. When checking to see if your mango is ripe, you want to judge its ripeness based on touch, not color. A good mango is one that gives just slightly. Too much give, or wrinkly skin, and try a different one.
- Red onion – I added half of a small(ish) red onion to this batch of mango salsa. Too much will overpower the sweetness of the mango and too little will leave the salsa flat. Be sure to dice the onion as small as possible.
- Jalapeño – If you really hate anything spicy, leave the jalapeño out of this recipe. That said, a little added spice has the power to really transform a dish so I highly recommend at least half a pepper.
- Lime juice – Yes, you need lime juice. Not bottled lime juice, fresh lime juice. It makes all the difference.
- Cilantro – Personally, I feel that the cilantro is non-negotiable. However, I know some folks hate cilantro. If that’s you, feel free to leave it out. You may want to substitute with some finely chopped green parts from green onion, chives, or even a little mint.
How to make Mango Salsa
Making your own homemade mango salsa is as easy as chopping, mixing, and serving!
- Prepare ingredients. Everyone has their own method of chopping a mango. For me personally, I like to peel mine with a sharp paring knife and then slice in half (more or less) around the pit. From there I’ll chop the mango into small bite-size chunks. If you have a different method that you prefer, feel free to use that one.
- Toss together. Transfer all ingredients for the mango salsa (chopped mango, chopped red onion, minced jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice) to a large mixing bowl. Toss well to combine. Season with salt or a drizzle of honey, if desired.
- Serve. Serve immediately or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to dice your red onion and jalapeño nice and small and in approximately equal sizes as not to overpower the dish.
- Only use fresh ingredients. This is especially important for the lime juice.
- Have fun with it! Just because it only has 5 ingredients, that doesn’t mean you can’t add more. Other delicious additions include,
- Make sure your mango is ripe, but not too ripe.
- Assuming you haven’t added any avocado, keep any leftover salsa stored in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
If you try making this Mango Salsa, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
For more salsa recipes check out,
- Steak Quesadilla Recipe with Pineapple Salsa
- Macadamia Crusted Salmon with Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Corn and Goat Cheese Fritters with Cherry and Tomato Salsa
- Salmon Tostadas with Pineapple Mango Salsa
- 5 Minute Homemade Pico de Gallo
- Shrimp Tostadas with Strawberry Salsa
DON’T FORGET TO PIN AND SHARE THIS EASY AND DELICIOUS MANGO SALSA RECIPE AND ADD IT TO YOUR NEXT WEEKLY MEAL PLAN!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Mango Salsa Recipe
- 3 large ripe (yet firm) mangoes - peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion - diced
- 1 jalapeño - diced (see notes)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro - tough stems discarded
- 2 limes - juiced
- Transfer all ingredients for the mango salsa (chopped mango, chopped red onion, minced jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice) to a large mixing bowl. Toss well to combine. Season with salt or a drizzle of honey, if desired.
- Serve immediately or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
- Jalapeños vary in heat. I recommend starting with one chopped jalapeño (or less if you're sensitive to spicy food) and add more if desired.