Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets with Asparagus is a flavorful and healthy shrimp recipe that can be cooked on the grill or in the oven for a fun and delicious 20-minute meal.
Healthy shrimp recipes remain my go-to for fast and easy dinners and include this Easy 30 Minute Shrimp and Fish Stew, Easy Shrimp and Asparagus Stir Fry, and Spicy Mexican Stewed Shrimp (Shrimp Camarones).
When I think of fast-cooking, protein-packed meals, I immediately think of shrimp. Shrimp is one of those things I always keep in the freezer for rushed nights when I need to get food in my family as fast as possible. Being summer, this is happening more and more often. The weather is nice (aka we’re practically on fire here in California, so we’re probably at the pool), dinner gets pushed later and later, and by the time I start cooking it’s full-blown crazy town. Thank goodness for fast and easy healthy shrimp recipes, such as these Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets, and Meal Prep Ideas.
OVERVIEW OF THIS CAJUN SHRIMP FOIL PACKET RECIPE
Just a brief summary.
- You need only two main ingredients with just a few main spices.
- Low-carb, Whole 30, Paleo. Although, there is butter? That can be replaced with olive oil.
- You can cook them in the oven or on the grill. Options are good.
- Low-fat protein.
- Start to finish and on the table in 20 minutes(ish).
- MY 4-YEAR OLD ATE THEM. amen.
INGREDIENTS IN THESE CAJUN SHRIMP FOIL PACKETS
- cayenne powder (optional, but I like mine hot!)
- cajun seasoning
- sweet paprika
I am currently on a Cajun kick. I literally cannot get enough of the stuff. Originally I had thought to just do a simple lemon butter sauce, but then I remembered CAJUN! With so much awesome flavor, Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets were the clear winner. I like to think of it as my (super fast, super lazy) version of a shrimp boil.
As far as the spice level, that’s up for you to decide. If you are super sensitive to spicy foods, or you just don’t like spicy food, then I advise against adding any cayenne to your shrimp. On the flip side, if you are a spice lover like me, then your shrimp with asparagus will thank you.
WHY SHRIMP WITH ASPARAGUS?
Shrimp and asparagus take approximately the same time to cook. Given the short cooking time of shrimp, it is super important to pair them with a vegetable that cooks at the same rate. After all, nothing is worse than overcooked, rubbery shrimp.
If you’re not a fan of asparagus, you may-
- Pick a different vegetable! Zucchini would be my second best pick. Just keep in mind that zucchini drop a lot of water once cooked, so make sure you double up on the foil.
- Cook the shrimp and the vegetables in different foil packets and adjust cooking time accordingly.
But, asparagus is awesome, so I highly recommend sticking with the asparagus for these shrimp foil packets. Just sayin’.
HOW TO COOK SHRIMP FOIL PACKETS IN THE OVEN OR ON THE GRILL
Not all of us have a grill. Or, perhaps, some of us don’t have an oven. No worries! These Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets can be cooked using BOTH methods!
- For the grill: Set your grill to medium-high heat. Transfer foil packets, seam-side-up, to the grill, and cook for approximately 8 minutes. Check the shrimp to make sure they are fully cooked- they should be bright pink. Carefully remove shrimp foil packets from the grill.
- For the oven: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place foil packets on top of a large baking sheet, seam-side-up. Bake the shrimp with asparagus for approximately 10-15 minutes (time will vary greatly depending on oven), or until shrimp are bright pink.
If you try making these Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
For more shrimp recipes check out,
- Easy Shrimp Scampi Recipe <– just 10 minutes!
- Chopped Shrimp Salad Recipe with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- Shrimp Tostadas with Strawberry Salsa
- Peach and Kohlrabi Summer Salad with Chipotle Shrimp
- Sesame Ginger Shrimp Bowls with Asian Chopped Greens
- Eat Your Veggies (and Shrimp) Salad with Avocado Cilantro Dressing
- Spicy Cilantro Garlic Shrimp
DON’T FORGET TO PIN AND SHARE THIS CAJUN SHRIMP FOIL PACKET RECIPE AND ADD IT TO YOUR NEXT WEEKLY MEAL PLAN!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets
- 1/4 cup salted butter - melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne - (optional)
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 pounds large shrimp - thawed with tail on
- 2 pounds asparagus - woody ends removed
- 4 tbsp butter - divided
- fresh chopped parsley - for serving
- lemon wedges - for serving
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter with the salt, cayenne powder, cajun seasoning, sweet paprika, and minced garlic.
- Add the shrimp to the butter mixture and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Cut eight large pieces of heavy-duty foil, stacking one on top of the other. Place one-fourth of the cajun seasoned shrimp directly in the center of the foil sheet. Place asparagus to one side of the shrimp going the long direction of the foil. Place one tablespoon butter on top of asparagus and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- To close the packet- use two pieces of foil per packet -fold the edges of foil up and around the shrimp and asparagus to create a closed packet. Avoid wrapping too tight as air circulation within the foil pack is good.
- For the grill: Set grill to medium-high heat. Transfer foil packs to the grill, seam-side-up. Cook for approximately 8 minutes, or until shrimp are bright pink.
- For the oven: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and place foil packets on top of a baking sheet. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through and bright pink.
- Garnish shrimp and asparagus with fresh chopped parsley and lemon wedges, if desired. Enjoy!